Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
I’ve talked about up to now that we don’t use microwaves, however I do make one exception. We make home made reusable DIY heating pads which might be simply heated within the microwave. Most of my microwave considerations (primarily that they make meals style horrible) don’t matter for one thing we aren’t consuming. So I don’t thoughts utilizing one for a home made heating pad.
DIY Heating Pads
Earlier than I had youngsters, I used an electrical heating blanket. As soon as I conceived my first youngster, I seen the warning label cautioned towards use whereas pregnant. There have been additionally warnings of the potential for burns, electrical shock, and fires. Electrical heating pads carry lots of the similar warnings.
I wished to discover a pure various. In school, I typically used this scorching/chilly pack that might be heated in a microwave or put within the freezer. That one lastly bit the mud after school, however fortunately, my mother discovered a home made model that we’ve been utilizing ever since.
Her home made rice warmth pack is tremendous easy to make and works splendidly. Simply a few minutes within the microwave, they usually keep heat for some much-needed warmth remedy.
How We Use These
I now have a few these, and all of my kids have one which they made with my mother. We use them on a regular basis, however a few of my favourite makes use of have been:
- In labor: I had horrible again labor with my final beginning as a result of she determined to reach breech. The one factor that bought me by way of the again ache and excruciating positions wanted to get her out safely was these warmth packs on my again. They had been superb.
- Chilly nights: As soon as upon a time, not that way back, we lived in a poorly insulated condominium with three youngsters, together with a preemie. It bought actually chilly at night time, and no quantity of working the heater (regardless of the $400 electrical payments) bought it heat in that condominium. We might warmth the rice heating pad up every night time and place them in our kids’s beds underneath the sheets (however under their ft) to maintain them heat whereas they fell asleep.
- Chilly and Flu: Within the unlucky occasion of a chilly or flu, these are great for retaining heat and easing sore muscle groups. These are the opposite issues we do if sickness strikes to hurry restoration.
- Nice sleep: Years in the past, I began sleeping with an ice pack on my head. Bizarre however true. I discovered that it improved my sleep high quality. A DIY rice pack also can double as an ice pack for higher sleep. Now my husband and I regulate our physique temp at night time with the Chilipad.
- Reusable Hand Heaters: Up to now, I’ve made little miniature warmth pads with felt and fleece. These are nice to make use of as hand heaters (if we ever get chilly sufficient to wish them this yr!).
- Sore Muscle tissue: Warmth helps enhance blood circulate to achy muscle groups for soothing reduction after an extended day. If you must alternate chilly and warmth on a muscle harm, you may put one rice bag within the freezer and one within the microwave, rotating as wanted.
- Ache reduction: DIY heating pads are nice for different forms of ache reduction. They’ll additionally assist with migraines and menstrual cramps. Add just a little lavender important oil for some calming aromatherapy.
How you can Make a DIY Heating Pad With Rice
You’re going to wish rice (in fact), cotton cloth, and one thing to stitch with. I exploit low-cost white rice as a filler since we aren’t consuming it. In case you don’t have a stitching machine, these will be hand sewn, although it received’t be fairly as fast. DIY initiatives like this additionally make nice items for family and friends at Christmas.
You may make your home made rice heating pad any measurement or form you need, however I make mine right into a 12×6 inch rectangle.
DIY Warmth Pad With Rice
These rice warmth baggage are a simple method to make a pure heating pad. Throw it within the freezer for an ice pack too!
Yield: 1 rice bag
- 12 inch sq. piece of cotton cloth or no matter form/measurement you favor
- 5 pound bag white rice (won’t all be used)
Fold the fabric in half with proper sides collectively. Begin at one of many brief sides and stitch the lengthy aspect and a part of the other brief aspect, leaving a niche of a number of inches on the final brief aspect. That is the place you are going to put the raw rice in.
Flip the material tube inside out in order that the tough ends are hidden.
Fill the tube with rice till it’s about 2/3 full. It’s also possible to add some lavender buds or a couple of drops of important oils for a soothing expertise.
Fold the remaining aspect in in order that the tough ends are hidden and stitch closed.
To make use of: Warmth on excessive within the microwave for 60 seconds or till the specified temperature is reached. The precise time will rely in your microwave.
Easy DIY Rice Heating Pad Variations
There are some nice tutorials on-line for making a very nice wanting rice warmth pack. That is one in every of my favorites. I make nicer ones like that for items, however for normal house use, these are simpler:
- Use an previous tube sock – Fill the previous sock with rice and stitch or tie the top to make a simple rice sock. A cotton sock is the most suitable choice.
- Use an previous pillowcase – Simply lower the pillowcase in half. Use the aspect with the underside seam and fill with a few cups of rice. Sew a line all the best way throughout to create a sealed tube, then repeat with one other couple of cups of rice. Repeat till all the factor is full and seam the top to create a completed rice pack with a number of tubes stuffed with rice.
- Create a easy sleeve with a chunk of sq. materials – Fold in half and stitch up two of the perimeters, leaving a thinner finish open. Fill with rice and stitch the remaining aspect to seal.
Ever made your personal heating pad earlier than? Depart us a remark and be sure you share this put up with a good friend!