Sharing a bit about my journey to consuming much less alcohol and suggestions for lowering your alcohol consumption if that’s one in all your targets.
Hello associates! How’s the week going to date? I hope you’re having an excellent morning to date! I’m right here engaged on content material for our 6-week group – ALL of the data will likely be posted right here subsequent Tuesday, so mark your calendars!
For right this moment’s submit, I needed to speak a bit about alcohol and a number of the issues I’ve performed to scale back my alcohol consumption over time.
My journey to consuming much less alcohol
Let’s take somewhat stroll into the previous and my historical past with alcohol:
– I’ve by no means actually been somebody to *overdo* it on alcohol. Whereas I’ve positively had my moments (in faculty largely lol) of overdoing it, I by no means blacked out or did issues i’d later remorse due to impaired decision-making skills, thank goodness. Whereas I’ve solely drank what I think about to be an excessive amount of on just a few events, I often had 1-2 glasses of wine or cocktails all through the week.
– I discovered that “an excessive amount of” means various things for various individuals. Whereas I wasn’t getting tipsy consistently, there have been instances (years?) that I had some sort of wine or cocktail each.single.day.
– Once we lived in San Diego, it was not unusual for us to drink a bottle of wine each evening. Whereas it felt utterly regular and like part of life, I noticed that it was an excessive amount of and needed to chop again. (PS consuming a bottle each evening will get costly, too!)
(Caro approves of my deacons to chop again. )
A few of the predominant the explanation why I selected to scale back my alcohol consumption:
– Each.time I drank a couple of cocktail or one glass of wine, I slept terribly and awoke feeling exhausted the following morning. It actually sucks to start out your day on such a low-energy observe, particularly if you’re chasing after children all day. I noticed that I felt so a lot better within the morning once I skipped wine the evening earlier than.
– I noticed that it turned a behavior greater than an enjoyment or pleasure. Ingesting wine turned one thing I did every day, not one thing I really loved. Like several behavior, it took some time to interrupt, and it was value it.
– For well being. I had a gallbladder scare just a few years in the past and seems that your liver and gallbladder (BFFs) hate alcohol. It was a superb wake-up name to observe my consumption and attempt to scale back it. Your physique views alcohol as poison and can pause different processes to be able to attempt to get rid of the toxin. It processes alcohol fully otherwise than meals.
Alcohol inhibits deep sleep, as your physique works to course of the alcohol as you sleep. It will increase your temperature and resting coronary heart charge, and likewise impacts your insulin sensitivity. Carrying my Oura ring and the Nutrisense CGM have supplied helpful perception as to how alcohol (particularly after 7-8pm) impacts my physique.
– For physique composition causes. After I diminished my alcohol consumption (along with some diet modifications I’ve remodeled time), I observed a distinction in physique composition. I felt much less bloated and puffy once I awoke, and likewise like I might lastly see a number of the muscle I’d been making an attempt to construct.
What about social consuming?
This was an enormous contributor to common cocktails, and likewise as an introvert, I LIKE the nice and cozy and fuzzy feeling from a glass of wine as I chat with individuals I don’t know very properly. I really feel prefer it completely takes off the sting, and makes it simpler for me to interact with everybody in a social setting.
Actually, I needed to recover from it.
I needed to inform myself I didn’t *want* alcohol to speak with new associates at events, and it’s true. I don’t want it to really feel snug in social conditions or to have a superb time.
I additionally puzzled if anybody would say something once I selected water as an alternative of a cocktail, and nobody has stated a phrase. On the Pilot’s squadron Christmas get together, I drank water with a lemon and nobody cared. There are different ways in which I’ve labored on my social anxiousness, particularly with meditation, hanging out with smaller teams of individuals, and somewhat CBD right here and there.
Did I give up alcohol fully?
No! I nonetheless love a margarita or a glass of wine 1-2 instances every week, however that’s it. Some weeks I’ve zero alcohol, and a few weeks I’ve one drink 1-2 nights per week, absolutely figuring out that I received’t sleep as properly or have as a lot power within the am. I’ve simply labored to scale back my consumption over time and I really feel like dancing within the center (as an alternative an all or nothing mentality) has labored properly for me.
Ideas for lowering alcohol consumption:
Listed here are a number of the suggestions which have helped me! Please know that I’m not licensed in ANYTHING associated to this and I’m simply sharing my expertise. When you’re fighting alcoholism, please please get the assistance and assist that you simply deserve. There are a number of sources right here.
– Drink one thing else that you simply get pleasure from. Kombucha and sizzling natural tea are pretty substitutes. I additionally loooooooove the Organifi Gold or Concord (use the code FITNESSISTA) combined with heat almond milk, a giant glass of water (I intention for round 100 oz per day), LMNT electrolytes, or an enormous smoothie.
– Strive a mocktail. A bartender could make a stunning mocktail in the event you inform them what taste notes you get pleasure from or how candy you’d prefer it to be. There are additionally so many variations you should purchase at grocery shops and on-line choices for alcohol-free wine and spirits (although I’ve but to strive any of those).
– Drink half. As an alternative of getting a full glass, strive consuming half as an alternative. I’ll order wine generally after we go to eating places, and can solely drink a 3rd or so of it (and understand it doesn’t go to waste as a result of the Pilot will end it as an alternative of getting a second drink).
– Scale back consumption over time. Like with something, full deprivation can backfire and result in overindulgence later. It was useful for me to be aware and steadily scale back my consumption. I decreased the times I had alcohol every week till finally I acquired right down to 1-2. Now when I’ve it, I make certain to take my time and revel in it.
So inform me, associates: how usually do you drink alcohol? What’s your very favourite drink?
Hope you’ve got an exquisite morning and I’ll see ya tomorrow with a recipe!