Right here at We ❤ Well being Literacy Headquarters, we’re huge followers of each preventive well being care and stopping the unfold of COVID-19. So today, pricey readers, we actually ❤ telehealth. In accordance with CDC, 4 in 10 U.S. adults have averted well being care on account of COVID-19 considerations. That’s, nicely, regarding! Folks want routine well being care, pandemic or no — and telehealth lets them get it with zero nervousness about additionally getting COVID at their go to.
As well being communicators, we are able to educate our audiences about telehealth and encourage them to present it a strive. Begin with a easy definition for the newbies on the market: Telehealth — generally known as telemedicine or a digital go to — is principally distant well being care. If you happen to’re utilizing a pc, cellphone, or pill for a physician go to, that’s telehealth.
And whereas telehealth definitely can’t take the place of all in-person visits, it’s a fantastic possibility for issues like:
- Yearly checkups along with your main care physician
- Dermatology visits
- Psychological well being counseling
- Vitamin counseling
- Observe-up visits to share check outcomes
When you’ve coated the fundamentals, spotlight some key telehealth advantages:
- It’s safer. Proper now, telehealth’s fundamental promoting level is that it permits people to remain related to care with out the chance of getting COVID at a physician’s workplace or hospital. Simply consider it like social distancing, however along with your physician.
- It’s sooner. Once you reduce out the commute, the ready room, the second ready room (er, examination room), the go to will get an entire lot shorter — and an entire lot simpler to suit right into a busy schedule. And who’s ever mentioned, “I want I spent extra time sitting in ready rooms”? That’s proper. Nobody!
- It will increase entry. Telehealth is especially useful for individuals who have to see a specialist however don’t reside close to one — and it removes the transportation barrier generally. Many telehealth suppliers additionally supply appointments outdoors conventional physician’s workplace hours, making it simpler for individuals to seek out occasions that work for them.
So encourage your audiences to ask if their docs supply telehealth — and to verify with their insurance coverage carriers to ensure it’s coated.
And eventually, whereas COVID security gained’t be as a lot of a difficulty sooner or later (we certain hope!), 2 of the three advantages above will maintain true lengthy after the pandemic is over. So whereas it’s a wonderful software for protecting individuals related to care throughout COVID, we expect telehealth is right here to remain.
The underside line: Encourage your audiences to discover telehealth — throughout COVID-19 and past.
Tweet about it: #Telehealth is a secure, efficient technique to get routine well being care — throughout the pandemic and past. @CommunicateHlth has ideas for explaining the advantages of telehealth to your audiences: https://bit.ly/3sAuk6F #communicateCOVID